The majority of women around the age of fifty are advised by their doctor to have regular mammograms, we tend to trust our doctors and many of us pay heed to what the doctor says without questioning the dangers of mammograms (Mammography), why should we you may ask, after all the government supports it and yes there are many government programs supporting and offering free mammograms in many countries of the world, so surely this must be a simple risk free procedure, think again and do some research before exposing yourself to this form of breast cancer detection. in the case of mammograms we are told that it is just a minor dose of radiation and that there are no risks, not so, The dose of radiation used in Mammography is 1,000 times greater than that used in chest x-ray and mammograms can in fact trigger cancer cells into action. We know that we all have latent cancer cells living inside our bodies and we know that X-rays are not particular good for us in any form, so, combining Radiation from X-ray with compression of the breast in order to perform the mammogram can be a lethal mix.
Dangers of Mammograms
Recent studies have shown that conclusively that sufficiently large doses of radiation can cause breast cancer rather than prevent it:
- The breast tissue of a female is highly susceptible to radiation effects, more so when you are young.
- It can take from a minimum of about 5 – 10 years for breast cancer as a result of radiation to develop.
- Large doses of radiation exposure can lead to a greater risk of developing breast cancer
- The age at which a women is exposed to radiation is important.
- Younger women are more at risk due to the breast tissue being more sensitive to the carcinogenic action of ionizing radiation
- There is no guarantee that a Mammography will detect the cancer cells, 10 to 15 percent of all cancers go undetected, and there is a high risk of false positives and false negatives findings.
- Mammograms may help spread an already existing mass of cancer cells, the very act of compressing the breasts to perform a mammogram may cause existing cancer cells to metastasize from the breast tissue if the breast has existing cancer cells.
- The British Medical Journal confirms that they discovered there were 29 percent more deaths from breast cancer in women who had a mammography.
In 2002 the British Royal Society of Medicine Professor Michael Baum stated that mammograms should be stopped as there was sufficient evidence that many healthy women undergo unnecessary exposure to radiation even though they may never develop the disease, and this came from the very man who helped set up the United Kingdoms 50 million pound a year breast screening program, so what does that tell you.
Many pre menopausal women look to alternative medicine to help them get through this difficult time, some of the know herbal formulas available for assisting and relieving menopausal symptoms are Dong Quai and Ginseg, be careful with these herbs, Studies have shown that these herbs can in fact trigger breast cancer, another one is Black Cohash, this should not be used for longer than 6 months and definitely do not use any of these herbs if there is a genetic predisposition to breast cancer.
Chinese medicine is also a recognized non invasive form of treatment in prevention and treatment of breast cancer
There is an alternative which is less hazardous and uncomfortable treatments which ARE becoming more accepted.